1.- Personal Information
I was born in San Pedro Coahuila, México in December 27th of 1985. H-index: 13. Average citation of 30. More than 953 citations (ISI Web of Science, March 2019). Other: Google scholar (link). Researchgate (link) and ORCID: 0000-0002-4183-1316.
2009 – 2012 Ph.D in Physics, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Laboratoire de Physique de la Matière Condensée. Lyon, France. Advisors: Prof. Miguel. A. L. Marques (theory) and Dr. Stephane Pailhes (experimental). Entitled: “Computational and experimental studies of sp3-materials at high pressure”. Defended on September 19th 2012. Committee: Prof. X. Gonze, Prof. A. Romero. 
2007 – 2008 Master in Physics, Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Monterrey, México. Advisors: Prof. Eduardo Perez-Tijerina (experimental) and Prof. Sergio Mejia (theory). Entitled: “Structure determination of AuPd icosahedral nanoparticles: experimental and computational studies”. Defended on June 13th 2008. Committee: Prof. Juan Luis Chapa.
2002 – 2007 Bachelor studies in Physics, Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Monterrey, México. Record: 87 /100.
 French system of Public Universities not longer confer levels of Latin honors, or degrees for dissertations such as “summa cum laude”. Rather they provide a detailed description of both, the defense (oral) and the overall PhD work. This document is used as qualification and serves to interpret the candidate’s success. You can read mine here: Rapport-Soutenance_Flores-Livas (French). An official translation of this document in Italian is also available “Rapporto_PhD_defense“.
3.- Research Experience
- 2019 (summer) – RTD position (Eq. Assistant Professor) at the Sapienza University of Rome (IT).
- Sept. 2017 – Currently Postdoc with MARVEL funds for my research at UniBas (CH).
- May 2015 – Aug. 2017 Postdoc in Prof. Goedecker’s group at UniBas (CH).
- Jan. 2013 – April 2015 Marie Curie scholarship, Max-Planck-Institute, Prof. E. K. U. Gross (DE).
- Oct. 2012 – Dec. 2012 Postdoc, University of Lyon 1, Prof. Marques (FR).
- March 2012 Experiments of Raman scattering on superconductors under pressure and very low temperature at ENS, Paris 6 (FR).
- April 2011 ARPES measurements in synchrotron Soleil, Cassiopée beamline (FR).
- December 2009 Neutron scattering measurements Orphee reactor CEA, Saclay (FR).
- September 2009 Started PhD (with my own scholarship from CONACyT Mexico) at the Université de Lyon 1, Prof. Marques and Dr. Pailhes (FR).
- June 2008 – Aug. 2009 Researcher in CIIDIT-UANL México (permanent position). I developed experimental tools: atomic layer deposition (ALD) chamber (MX).
- July 2007 – Dec. 2007 Scientific internship, synthesizing zeolites in thermochemistry lab (MX).
- June 2007 – July 2007 Summer internship at CINVESTAV. Synthesizing photovoltaic cells (MX).
4.- Co-supervising Junior Researchers
- Miglė Graužinytė (PhD student UniBasel). She completed her undergraduate and Master studies in Physics at the University of Edinburgh. Her research focuses on computational modelling of defects in semiconducting oxides. Since 3 years I am supervising and supporting her on the collaboration with experimental group (PVlab @ EPFL-Neuchatel).
- Deb Sankar De (PhD student UniBasel). Completed his master at Jawaharlal Nehru University (J.N.U), New Delhi. I am supervising his research since 2 and half years on clusters (fullerenes) for hydrogen storage and reconstruction of 2D materials for superconductivity.
- Matheus Rodriguez Alvarez (1st year PhD student Uni-Halle, Germany) He is developing computational tools based on evolutionary algorithms to “reverse engineer” the electronic structure and design novel materials. I am supervising his work on intercalated- lanthanides for magnetism and support in coding, computing, etc.
5.- Teaching (Summary)
- Tutoring courses (exercise problem & solution), computational physics, statistical thermodynamics, electrodynamics, Montecarlo methods for physics and fortran.
September 2015 to date, each semester alternating depending on the year, at University of Basel.
- Hand-out in density-functional theory (DFT) and magnetism, day 1 (compiling and basic ground state calculation) and day 2 (Magnetism and relativistic calculations) in the “Elk code”
Sept. 3 and 4, 2018 (15:00-17:00) at Max-Planck for Microstructure Physics Halle, Germany
- Taught density-functional theory (DFT) and hands on session day 1 (compiling and basic ground state calculation) and day 2 (Magnetism and relativistic calculations) in the “Electronic structure at the cutting edge with the Elk code”
August 10, 2015 to August 14, 2015 at CECAM-EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
- One semester teaching laboratory courses (experimental) 80 hrs. Subjects: fundamental physics (First year of BS), electromagnetism (Second year of BS) and digital-circuits (3 year of engineering).
2008 – 2009 at faculty of Physics of the UANL, Monterrey, Mexico.
- I gave a course on “Atomic force microscopy: introduction, theory and hands-on” at the International Workshop of Nanoscience-division of Mexican Society of Physics.
May 2009, duration: 8 hours in Mexico.
6.- Approved Research Projects
- Computing grant in Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (LRZ) of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences. More than 2.6 millions of CPU (SuperMUC) for 4 years. Germany (2018).
- Computing grant in the National supercomputer CSCS-ETH granted me more than 800,000 computing node hours in (Piz Daint) for a period of 2 years. Switzerland (2017).
- Project “ExMaMa” EU Marie-Curie of 161,968.80 Euro for 2 years- EU-IEF 329386 (2013).
- PhD project found by CONACyT with 35,000 Euro for 3 years. Number: 212868 (2009).
7.- Presentations, invited talks, seminars and keynotes (33)
- Seminar: in RIKEN center of research in Saitama (near Tokyo) “In Silico Design of Quantum Materials ”. Invited by Prof. Arita. Japan, November 14, 2018
- Contributed talk: “Emergence of hidden phases of methylammonium lead-iodide (CH3NH3PbI3) upon compression“ presented in the International Workshop on Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials, (https://sites.google.com/view/comdi2018/home) COMDI MARVEL, on Monday, Sept. 10, 2018 (17:40-18:00). EPFL-CH, Sept. 10, 2018
- Invited talk: in the Workshop-school on Electronic Structure methods: ELK Code, Max-Planck Halle, “Structure Prediction Algorithms: In Silico Design of Materials“,Germany, Sept. 6, 2018
- Invited talk: International Workshop on Electronic Structure of Superconductors & Novel Materials, Sapienza Universita di Roma, “Superconductivity in doped hydrides at high pressure” link). Italy, May 24, 2018
- Oral contribution: “Novel Rare-Earth Magnetic Nitride Perovskites” at the American Physical Society meeting. USA, March 7, 2018
- Seminar: in NanoPhononics group UniBas “Designing Quantum Materials” Feb. 5, 2018
- Invited Seminar: MARVEL Junior Seminar Series “Computational screening of useful hole-electron dopants in SnO2 ”. Switzerland, November 9, 2017
- Invited talk: 652 WE-Heraeus “Ab initio Electronic Structure Theory in the 21st Century” (link). Germany, October 2017
- Flash and highlighted presentation: “Interplay between structure metastability & superconductivity in elemental P” at the MARVEL retreat. Switzerland, September 2017
- Invited Keynote: “Cutting edge structure prediction methods and in silico materials design” YRM-2017 (link). ETSF Spain, June 2017
- Flash and highlighted presentation: “Computational design of novel sulfide-type superconductors” MARVEL retreat, Switzerland, April 2017
- Invited talk: “Fully ab-initio description and prediction of novel materials under high pressure” SMEC conference, USA, April 2017
- Seminar: presenting in the group of Prof. Umrigar at Cornell University. “Doped ice under pressure” USA, March 28th, 2017
- Oral contribution: “Emergence of superconductivity in H2O” at the American Physical Society (APS). USA, March 2017
- Oral contribution: “Emergence of superconductivity in ice at high pressure” at TRNM IX Program http://trnm.aalto.fi/. Finland (2017)
- Seminar: “Emergence of superconductivity in ice at high pressure”. Atomistic seminar series in the Chemistry Department of University of Basel. Switzerland, Sept. 19, 2016
- Presentation in the 2nd. review of MARVEL project about my research in hydrogen compounds under pressure. Switzerland, April 2016
- Oral contribution: “Superconductivity in metastable phases of P-H compounds” at the American Physical Society (APS). USA, March 2016
- Oral contribution: “Superconductivity in intercalated group-IV honeycomb structures” at the DPG-Frühjahrstagungen. Germany, 2015
- Oral contribution: “Computational search for rare-earth-free hard-magnetic materials” at the DPG-Frühjahrstagungen. Germany, 2015
- Oral contribution: “Computational search for rare-earth-free hard-magnetic materials” at the American Physical Society (APS). USA, March 2015
- Oral contribution: “Computational search for energy materials: rare-earth-free hard-magnetic materials.” at TRNM VIII. Finland 2015
- Invited Seminar: “Computational search for rare-earth-free hard-magnetic materials” in Prof. Gohda’s Tokyo Institute of Technology. Japan, January 20, 2015
- Invited Seminar: “Crystal prediction: Novel hard-magnetic materials” at University of Basel, Prof. Goedecker. Switzerland, November 27, 2014.
- Oral contribution: “Phonon-driven superconductivity in group-IV layered superconductors” at the EHPR Meeting. France. 7-12 September 2014
- Oral contribution: “High-throughput computational search for bulk materials with an enhanced MAE” at IMRC XXIII. Mexico, August 2014
- Oral contribution: “High-throughput computational search for hard-magnetic materials: ExMaMa project” at the DPG-Frühjahrstagungen. Germany, 2014
- Talk: at CFCAM meeting on pseudopotentials. About my contribution to the Delta project (Science paper). France, February 2014
- Invited talk: “Designing new materials from first principles: Computational and experimental results.” Abinit Workshop Developers 2013. France 2013
- Talk: “First Principle Design of superhardmagntes” MPI-Cooperation between Dresden and Halle, held at Goslar. Germany 2013
- Oral contribution: “Enhancing the superconducting transition temperature of BaSi2 by structural tuning.” at IMRC XX. Mexico 2011
- Oral contribution: “Structure determination of AuPd Icosahedral nanoparticles from: Experimental to computational results.” at IMRC XVIII. Mexico 2009
- Oral contribution: “Structural and electrical properties of ZnO ultra-thin films deposited by atomic layer deposition.” at IMRC XVIII. Mexico 2009
8.- Scientific reviewing activities (Log: 30.04.2019 saved last entry)
Reviewer of 33 manuscripts for the following journals: (My Publons profile)
|Phys. Rev. X
Annalen der Physik
Physics Letters A
Journal Phys. Condens. Matter.
Journal of Materials Chemistry C
|The Journal of Physical Chemistry C
The European Journal of Physics B
Computational Materials Science
> Reviewer of a CEA research proposal (2017). CEA is The French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission.
> Reviewer of a proposal for the Department of Energy Office of Science DOE, USA, (2019).
9.- Organisation of Conferences
- Main coordinator of 2018 MARVEL Junior Retreat (EPFL).
As an undergraduate and a grad, I won more than 5 times the “best poster” award. As a bachelor student, I was frequently awarded for best grades as well as for designing apparatus and experiments. I won 2 stipend sponsored by MRS (Materials Research Society, U.S.A.) to attend (including flight, hotel and allowance) the spring meeting of MRS in San Francisco. Among other top-awards, I consider the following ones as the most important in my career:
- Best poster presentation in the MARVEL retreat Switzerland (Sept. 2017).
- Selected among thousands of candidates (worldwide) to attend the 66th Lindau Nobel Laureate Physics meeting. A week with 30 Nobels laureates (I am Lindau alumni) (2016).
- Award for my project “ExMaMa” founds by EU Marie-Curie of 161,968.80 Euro (2013).
- Award of a Max-Planck stipendium for post-doctoral in group of Prof. E. K. U. Gross (2012).
- Second place in the best poster presentation contest at IMRC-XX, Cancún, México (2011).
- Award: Scholarship to attend the MRS spring meeting in San Francisco, USA (2010).
- Award of a Scholarship of Excellence by CONACyT-México to pursuit my Ph.D studies (National council for science). Only ~10 annual stipends are granted in México (2009).
- First place in the best poster presentation contest at IMRC-XVIII, Cancún, México (2009).
- Best poster presentation at the “First Symposium of Scientific Research and Technological Innovation” celebrated in CIIDIT México (I won my first laptop) (2009).
- First place at the best poster presentation contest at IMRC-XVII, Cancún, México (2008).
- First place for high performance grades, faculty of physics in Monterrey, Mexico (2007).
- First place in science fair at faculty of physics on category of experiments: development of an apparatus to measure the velocity of sound and its variation in temperature (2006).
11.- Outreach activities
I have been contributing to outreach activities over the last 9 years; explaining physics, science concepts and supercomputers to a wide variety of audiences. – this includes not just the creation and delivery of lectures and presentations, but also participating in much more informal and interactive discussions in different languages. To highlights some of them:
- Outreach talk at the Swiss Young Physicist Forum (YPF May 5, 2019) (in English).
- TecDay by satw in Kantonsschule (Heerbrugg), 26. Marz 2019 (in German).
- TecDay by satw in Kantonsschule (Olten), 21. November 2018 (in German).
- TecDay by satw in Gymnasium Lerbermatt (Bern), 19. Oktober 2017 (in German).
- Lange Nacht der Wissenschaft Halle-Saale Max Planck Institute 2014 (in German).
- Radio interviewed talking about Science Monterrey, 2012 (in Spanish).
- Fête de la science, Campus de la Doua, Lyon 2011 (in French).
- Visit the DIF and talk about my experience of studying in Europe 2010 (in Spanish).
12.- Poster presentations (+16)
- “Interplay between structure metastability and superconductivity in elemental P” at MARVEL retreat (selected as best poster). Switzerland, Sept. 2017
- “Machine learning for superconductors” at MARVEL 3rd review. Switzerland, April 2017
- “Hydrogen compounds under pressure” at MARVEL 2nd review. Switzerland, April 2016
- “Superconductivity of H3S and H3Se compounds” at PSI-K (2015). USA, September 2015
- “Phonon-mediated superconductivity in carbides, disilicides and germanides” at IMRC XXIII Mexico 2014
- “Magnetic anisotropy calculations” at Strong electron correlation effects in complex d- and f-based materials workshop, Czech Republic, July 2014
- “Hard magnets by computing design” at TRNM VII. Program Finland, February 2014.
- “Designing New Superhardmagnets from First Principles”. ELK workshop (summer school) at CECAM-EPFL. Switzerland, July 2013
- “Improving the electron-phonon interaction in layered disilicides” IMRC XX (2nd place of best poster contest). Mexico, 2011
- “Ab-initio calculations on thermoelectric properties of AEM-disilicides” G.D.R. de Thermoélectricité at Université Paris-Sud á Orsay. France, July 2011
- “Clathrates compounds under extreme conditions” Symposium W. (MRS) Spring Meeting in San Francisco. USA, 2010
- “Self assembling growth of ZnO ultra thin films by atomic layer deposition” at IMRC XVIII (1st place of best poster contest). Mexico, 2009
- “AuPd nanoparticles from: experiment to computational results” 1st Symposium of CIIDIT (1st place of best poster contest). Mexico, 2009
- “Gold/palladium nanoparticles in flight thermal annealing. (MRS) Spring Meeting. USA, 2009
- “Morphological studies of AuPd-nanoparticles” at IMRC XVII (1st place of best poster contest). Mexico, 2008
- “First stages of CdTe thin film deposit by CSVT.” XXVII Mexican Material and surfaces. Mexico, 2007
- English +550 points in TOEFL (certified).
- French level tested C1 (certified).
- German B1 (certified).
- Italian B2 (certified).
- Spanish (Castilian) mother language.
14.- Schools, courses and workshop attended.
- International superhydrides workshop: Towards Room Temperature Superconductivity: Hydrides and More. Rome, 2016 http://www.superhydrides.net/
- Workshop on Atomistic Structures and Tutorial Hands-on-FPLO. Held in Dresden (2013).
- CECAM abinit school: Theoretical spectroscopy lectures: theory and codes. CECAM-EPFL, held at Lausanne, Switzerland. May 2011.
- CAMD Summer school: Electronic structure theory and materials design, august 14-20, 2010 at DTU Denmark, Lyngby (2.5 ECTS credits).
- Internship on advanced techniques of atomic force microscopy (AFM) and tunneling spectroscopy. Sponsored by Veeco instruments, held in the University of Texas at San Antonio (U.T.S.A.) U.S.A. May 2008.